I never stopped to think about lead in soil, until a friend of mine posted about it on facebook. (http://projectsformoms.blogspot.com/) For all you twitterers out there, @ShannyM515, had mentioned that she couldn’t plant due to lead being in her soil. As I read that, I started to think about my own soil. We live in Des Moines, Beaverdale area, which is an old neighborhood where many homes have been painted and treated for lead paint. That paint could have leaked into the soil making it hazardous to start utilizing it for a garden. With the recent popularity of home gardens, I thought it would be great to share a link that I just found on lead.

For Urban Gardeners, Lead is a Concern

6 Responses to Lead in garden soil, food grown in it is hazardous to eat

1. Shannon says:

Yeah, midtown Omaha had lead contamination. Luckily the house we are buying had the soil removed. Not that I can grow anything anyways. EVERYTHING dies :(

2. wallypop says:

Not just from paint – I have concerns about the soil in our front yards because of their proximity to the street, and lead from when gas had lead in it.

3. Shannon says:

Yes, know your neighborhood. Omaha got contaminated from a lead refinery that ran from 1870′s to 1996. It was emitted into the air through smokestacks. It’s scary that that one factory contaminated almost 9,000 acres. Be safe!

4. Diana Bauman says:

Wow! How did you go about finding out about that Shannon?? I’m definitely interested to start testing my soils!

5. Mama Podkayne says:

Des Moines, specifically 50314 zip code, has the highest lead poisoning in children rate in the USA. It is easy to think it is just all the old houses, but it is also where there used to be coal fields and there are several factories (like firestone) nearby.

What ever the cause, it is there. It is dangerous. It takes the joy out of just picking and eating because everything MUST be washed first.

Anyway, I sent you the link to the post I did when we built our city beds.

6. Mama Podkayne says:

Oh and ISU can test soil samples but that just tests the garden soil and not the blowing dust that can accumulate on the plants and fruits themselves, blowing in from a lead heavy neighborhood.