- 1lb shredded chicken meat
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1 recipe salsa roja para enchiladas
- 12 corn tortillas
- 3/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese to sprinkle on top
*Tip – You can find great corn tortillas called El Milagro at your Mexican Grocer. They have no preservatives and their only ingredients are Corn, Lime, and Water! The best thing, a package of 12 costs 32 CENTS!
- In a large bowl, mix the shredded chicken, green onions, cilantro, and 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- After you’ve mixed your meat mixture, it’s time to get everything mise en place.
- Back left burner, keep your enchilada sauce warm over low heat
- Back right, the meat mixture placed on the range. (It’s not on)
- Front left, extra virgin olive oil over low heat.
- Front right, casserole dish to roll and place enchiladas
- Using tongs, dip one tortilla at a time into the warm oil to soften the tortilla. Immediately dip the tortilla into the enchilada sauce and place in your casserole dish. Fill the center of the tortilla with about 2 tablespoons of meat mixture and roll it up. One thing to remember is that if you leave the tortilla in the oil for too long, it will get extremely soft and break on you. Quite literally, you’ll only keep it a few seconds on each side in the oil and about the same amount of time in the enchilada sauce. Practice makes perfect!
- Once all of the enchiladas are rolled, top with the remaining enchilada sauce (you may have some left over) and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.