Before I left for Spain I put my mason jar downstairs and let it ferment for the two weeks that I was gone. I was so excited to get back and open up the jar. As I opened the jar, it started to bubble and sizzle. My first taste was great! Crunchy asparagus spears with a little bite! A perfect side to my morning eggs!
Naturally Pickled Asparagus with Green Garlic
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut in half. Remove little overlaying pieces on stalk as dirt can be trapped underneath these folds.
- 2 long stalks of green garlic chopped
- 3 freshly cut stems of tarragon (about 4″ tall)
- 1/2 tbl black peppercorn
- 1/2 tbl coriander seeds
- 1 tbls sea salt
- 4 tbls whey (If you do not have whey, feel free to add 1 tbls extra sea salt)
- filtered water (must be filtered as chlorine will disrupt the fermentation process)
- In a quart sized mason jar, add the asparagus, spears down.
- Add the tarragon in between the asparagus spears.
- Add the green garlic, peppercorn and coriander seeds.
- Add the filtered water, sea salt and whey. Make sure you add enough water to cover and 1″ from the top of the jar.
- Cover and shake it up.
- Uncover and make sure all your spears are underneath the liquid.
- Allow to ferment in a dark cool place for 3 days up to two weeks (or more).
Nourish your Family Today!
Joing the My Humble Kitchen community today and I'll send you my eBook, A Month of Meals from My Humble Kitchen to Yours absolutely free. You'll receive recipes, techniques in the kitchen, gardening tips, and so much more to nourish your family physically and spiritually!