Chipiona, Spain

Posted · 16 Comments

Upon our return from Granada, we spent another couple of days in Sevilla visiting family and relaxing.

Below are a couple of shots of my tita’s in Sevilla.

Abuela Rora
Dianas--Spain-2010-550
Tita Maria, Tita Carlota, Abuela Rora
Dianas--Spain-2010-555
I’m disappointed that I can’t find the photos of my Tita Manolita.  She is another sister of my tita’s above with a wonderful heart.  She helped my mother and aunt during the last day’s of my grandfather over a year ago. We are excited that her daughters, my mother’s cousins, are visiting us with their families in the States this year.  I can hardly wait!

Spring is a great time to be in Spain.  The weather is perfect and you can catch many fairs going on throughout the country including many religious holidays.

During the month of May, Las Cruces de Mayo is celebrated.  Religiously, the festival is rooted in the search by the Byzantine Empress Saint Helena for the cross on which Jesus died, but the popular traditions connected to the festival certainly originate from pagan traditions brought to Spain by the Roman Empire.  In light of Las Cruces de Mayo, throughout the city you will frequently see many children carrying miniature crosses on float type displays.  The children, usually with an adult tagging along, will carry it around the block.

Dianas--Spain-2010-567
Dianas--Spain-2010-558
As cute as this is to see, it almost seems to me as a way to prepare their children for what awaits them when they get older, La Semana Santa.  Knowing that many of these traditions are rooted in pagan traditions, I’m not to keen on them.  Just my feelings!  I’d rather catch a flamenco show and eat some traditional Spanish food!
Dianas- Spain 2010 583

Dianas--Spain-2010-596

ensaladilla rusa
Dianas--Spain-2010-580

empanadilla de atun
Dianas--Spain-2010-579

After visiting cousins, we hit the beach!  Chipiona!!

Dianas--Spain-2010-637

Chipiona has history in our family.  My Tita Carlota purchased the chalet a block away from the beach when my mother was a tiny thing.

Dianas--Spain-2010-780

Dianas--Spain-2010-611

My mami used to spend her summers on the beach eating freshly picked mulberries and tagging along with my tita’s as they fetched fresh raw milk and bought live chickens that my Abuela Rora would cull in the kitchen for La Merienda (Dinner).  My mami called Chipiona her refuge, her place of peace as she would run up sand dunes and swim for hours.  Wow… Times have changed.  However, when I was little I also have the memories of tagging along with Abuela Rora and buying live chickens for dinner.  Ha!  I may just bring that memory back!!

So we all have our treasured memories of Chipiona and now my children will as well!

Dianas--Spain-2010-691

Dianas--Spain-2010-753
Dianas--Spain-2010-695
Dianas--Spain-2010-622
Dianas--Spain-2010-714
Dianas--Spain-2010-718

My nephew Xavier mowing down on Mejillones (mussels).  He called them, “His Favorite!”
Dianas--Spain-2010-773

I’m so glad that my Tita Carlota was able to spend a couple of days with us!
More---Spain-2010-152

More---Spain-2010-092

Seafood/Shellfish in Chipiona and San Lucar are the best!!!
More---Spain-2010-091

More---Spain-2010-103

How cute is my nephew Ezra!!
More---Spain-2010-151

Dianas--Spain-2010-659

Zekie’s model pose!
Dianas--Spain-2010-648

Ice Cream!!
Dianas--Spain-2010-647

Churros!
Dianas--Spain-2010-683

I even ate some snails!

Although Chipiona is packed with people during the summer time, it’s a small town and quiet during the rest of the year.  It’s a town where everyone pretty much knows everyone.  As soon as we got there, we had half the town stop by to say hi to Carloti and her family.  It’s a special feeling as it makes you feel as though you belong there.

One of our most favorite breakfast treats to eat in Chipiona, is manteca colorá.  Believe it or not, it’s seasoned rendered pork fat that is smothered on toast and sprinkled with honey or sugar.  Unbelievably good!!

Dianas--Spain-2010-674

My family swears by it and will not eat it from anywhere else.  The person who makes it is the town carnicero (butcher) and a family friend!  His wife Meji and their children have been friends with ours since I can remember.  So it was so much fun visiting his booth at the plaza where he GAVE ME HIS RECIPE!!!

Dianas--Spain-2010-676
Dianas--Spain-2010-679
Showing me how to slice the back fat.
Dianas--Spain-2010-670

I’m still waiting for my back fat from a local family farmer.  As soon as I get it, I’ll share with you the recipe!  So…. that was how we spent our time in Chipiona.  Relaxing!!
Dianas--Spain-2010-776
I’m so glad I was able to share with you my time in Spain!  You can definitely look forward to a recipe for manteca colorá in the future.  Also, look forward to a very special giveaway!

Until then, have a great weekend!

16 Responses to "Chipiona, Spain"
  1. Belinda @zomppa says:

Great photos – the beach, Ezra, abuelita! =) What a special time.

2. Simply Life says:

once again, I'm so happy you were able to enjoy your time there and it just makes me wish I could be there too right now! :)

3. Paula - bell'alimento says:

Ah, beautiful post Diana! What an amazing time & the food, oh the food *swoon*

4. Gabe Bauman says:

Them pix are great mama! I thought you and your mom liked snails.

5. momgateway says:

That was so much fun and I really enjoyed the pictures you shared…

6. Kelli says:

How beautiful! I've loved all your posts on your Spain trip. You cracked me up over the snail Kudos for eating it, you said it wasn't that bad but… idk if I could do it!

My favorite pic (aside from your adorable kids and nephews!) was the butcher shop. Oh if only! *dreamy face*

~Kelli @ Smidgens

7. FOODalogue says:

I've enjoyed your postings about Spain and must tell you again your children are beautiful as is your nephew.

8. Raine Saunders says:

Hi Diana! I have been meaning to visit your blog for over a month now…I've been so swamped, I barely have time to visit any of the blogs I love anymore. But I love your pictures and detail about your trip. It looks so wonderful and I'm so glad you were able to return to Spain again and see your family and experience all the wonderful places and sights and sounds…and food! The food looks great! I believe the ancient lands of the world are so rich in their complexity to present the rich heritage of foods to us, and we benefit so much not just from eating them but learning about how those foods are prepared and the people who came before us and left us with the legacy of learning about how to do it. Blessings and love to you and your family, always!

-Raine :)

9. Sustainable Eats says:

What an amazing trip and amazing family. Thanks for taking the time to post all those pictures, I know how time consuming it is. I can't wait to read about your seasoned pork back fat too! What a great way to get some vitamin D in the kiddos (who are adorable beyond words.)

xo,
    Annette

10. Fresh Local and Best says:

Your life is so rich with family, love and great experiences! I love how curious and rambunctious the boys were.
    Your mom also has an incredible life! Wow! Her childhood doesn't get any more fresh, local or best!

11. Cristie says:

Pictures of your family having fun together are picture of pure joy. Wonderful!

12. dina says:

Oh I miss ensalada rusa! Do you have a recipe? I've tried, and failed miserably, I'm afraid. And the empanadas (cream cheese and caramelized onions is my fave!), and the churros… and I *adore* going to flamenco shows. I've only been to shows in Madrid – well, except for an inpromptu dance put on by some older folks on the boardwalk in Benidorm one day… that was fabulous.

Oh gosh, I miss Espana!

Thanks so much for sharing!

13. Erica says:

Thank you for sharing, lovely pictures!…My best friend from school lives in Barcelona… I would love to visit her there.Spain is a beautiful country.

14. brian_in_gib says:

ay esas playitas de Cadiz! Y ese pescaito…
    saludos desde gib,
    brian

15. tasteofbeirut says:

Sounds like a relaxing family time in a wonderful setting; manteca colora sounds a bit like our awarma, which is rendered lamb fat preserved for the winter, delicious with eggs and all kinds of other dishes.

16. Kath says:

What a fun trip down memory lane! We lived in Chipiona for a year in the early ’70′s…though our house has been torn down, the playa, the church, and the Mercado look just the same. I found your blog searching for an ensaladilla rusa recipe, am going to make it on Sunday, and I will be back to visit the blog soon!