As great as a winter root vegetable beef stew is, nothing speaks comfort to me like the robust, deep flavors of Mexican food. What can I say… I’m Latina through and through.
I’m one of those old fashioned kind of mami’s who does not like to waste food. Something ircks me inside to even think about throwing nourishing meals away or any kind of good food for that matter. It’s usually no problem as Gabe loves leftovers for lunch, however, since we have both started on a fitness plan and have been reducing our portion sizes, we’ve had more leftovers to go around.
Instead of reheating beef stew, I decided to spice it up and make a Mexican inspired casserole.
All you need to do is make a batch of salsa roja para enchiladas, warm up some corn tortillas and layer lasagna style. Easy, delicious and nourishing. It feels great to know your eating a healthy and delicious enchilada when it’s made using real food at home.
Next time you have a big batch of leftover beef stew, try this enchilada casserole. You won’t be disappointed.
Enchilada Casserole Using Leftover Beef Stew
- Leftover Beef Stew
- 1 batch salsa roja para enchiladas (red enchilada sauce)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- corn tortillas
- queso fresco cheese, sub cheddar or monterey jack
1.Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
2. Shred remaining beef from beef stew and dice the vegetables into small pieces.
3. Add beef stew mixture to a bowl and mix in cilantro.
3. Depending on how much beef stew you have leftover, mix in 1/2 cup to 1 cup salsa roja with the beef stew mixture. (To your taste)
4. In a 9×13 baking dish, add 3tbls salsa roja to the bottom of the dish.
5. Warm up 6 corn tortillas and place them on the bottom of the casserole dish to fill the bottom.
6. Add 1/2 the beef stew mixture on top of the tortillas and sprinkle with queso fresco.
7. Add another layer of tortillas followed by the last 1/2 of the beef stew mixture and queso fresco.
8. Add a final layer of tortillas and enough salsa roja on top to cover.
9. Top with queso fresco and bake for 20 minutes.
10. Serve topped with sour cream and diced avocados.
So, what do you make with leftover beef stew?
Nourish your Family Today!
Joing the My Humble Kitchen community today and I'll send you my eBook, A Month of Meals from My Humble Kitchen to Yours absolutely free. You'll receive recipes, techniques in the kitchen, gardening tips, and so much more to nourish your family physically and spiritually!