Chewy granola bars. What’s not to like? They are my husband’s favorite snack and the kids gobble them up. I adore how easy and quick they are to throw together and are just as sweet and chewy as those “boxed” varieties without all of the “hidden” ingredients. The recipe I use is an adaptation from good old King Arthur. Sweetened with raw honey, real maple syrup and dried fruit. The honey and addition of extra virgin olive oil (feel free to substitute coconut oil) keeps them fresh and chewy for at least a week. If they last that long. Seriously, once you see how quick and easy these are to make, I don’t think you’ll ever buy boxed granola bars again.
Naturally Sweetened, Chewy Oatmeal Raisin and Cranberry Granola Bars
The greatest thing about making your own granola bars is that you can add any variety of dried fruits and nuts that you’d like. Big brother made this batch and decided to add raisins, cranberries and chocolate chips. I think Dad will approve 😉
- 1 2/3 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups dried fruits and nuts (We used raisins, cranberries, and chocolate chips)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Star brand California Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbls real maple syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and butter a 9″ x 13″ pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients including fruits and nuts.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk all of the wet ingredients. Combine the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
4. Add the granola bar mixture into the prepared pan, evenly spread through and gently pat down.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until they are golden around the edges.
6. Remove the granola bars from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges.
7. Allow to cool for an additional 15-20 minutes. Slice and transfer to a cooling rack slowly. Allow to cool through.
You can store the granola bars by wrapping in plastic wrap or on parchment paper covered in a glass container.
What are your favorite granola bar flavors?
This post is sponsored by Star Fine Foods and their new line of California Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Nourish your Family Today!
Joing the My Humble Kitchen community today and I'll send you my eBook, A Month of Meals from My Humble Kitchen to Yours absolutely free. You'll receive recipes, techniques in the kitchen, gardening tips, and so much more to nourish your family physically and spiritually!