Bauman Family

I’ve been so pre-occupied lately with my menu plan, developing recipes, and taking pictures of food that I haven’t had a chance to share about my life in awhile.

If you follow Spain in Iowa on facebook, you may have read a short post where I mentioned that my husband was laid off from his work a week ago.  I wrote that although I was a bit angry, I was also excited to see how God is going to work in our lives.

I appreciated every comment that popped in with words of encouragement and prayer.  I was able to connect with other woman in similar situations and allow myself to be broken.

Through all of this, I’m not scared.  I have 100% faith that God is going to see us through this.

mama_littlemama

My husband is young, strong, and educated. He’ll provide for us, I know it. What scares me is change.

At the moment there are talks of moving across country or across the ocean.

As much as I have always been a go get ‘em kind of girl, I now have children to think about so it’s a trying time as we seek to understand what God wants for our lives.

Bauman Kids

Trying, but exciting. God is doing really cool things in our lives right now.

I’m finishing up a book proposal for my first book and my family is anticipating a vacation to California in April.  I’m going to meet some of the most amazing food bloggers out there and spend time with my Tia Helen, Nino, and sister up North.

God’s taking care of us, for sure, but I do see him pushing Gabe and I to let go of our lives a bit more so that we’re able to cling onto Him.

I want to thank you all for your kind words and listening ear.  I know God uses this place to bless me and that wouldn’t happen without you.

For now, I’m going to choose to live on faith, not think about tomorrow, trust my husband, and most importantly, God.

Tagged with →

36 Responses to A Changing Season

1. Diana,

I’m sorry for the struggle you are going through. I can relate as my husband was laid off a year ago October. It was scary, as it’s something he always feared and it finally happened. Strange thing is I wasn’t scared or worried…I was worried about how he was taking it. Facing an anxiety that he’d always had turned out wasn’t as bad as he’d thought it would be.

We were pressed into God, and HE showed up in amazing ways. We felt defininte direction to start up our own law practice, and now a year and a half later we are still in business. It’s not all cut and dry, or easy. We don’t always know what we’re doing. But God led us to this place, and we DO believe HE will equip us for the work he’s called us to do. It’s a bit of a strange idea….but my husband is a family law attorney. We’ve been called by God to try and save marriages. We’ve been able to counsel women to go back and work on their marriages when their spouses have been unfaithful. We’ve helped others truly see that divorce isn’t the answer, and that though marriage is hard…it’s worth fighting for.

The wierd part about the idea was how God would supply an income for us through this…after all we are turning down clients. I couldn’t wrap my mind around that last year. But now I realized that unfortunately divorce is a fact of life, and we have christians show up that have already been served with papers. Their spouse wants out and they need a kind and empathetic place to turn. A lawyer they can trust that has their best interest at heart.

It’s a ministry we felt we were called into, and still watching to see what God is doing. He doesn’t always let us into the “what’s coming” part. But when we stop and ask and seek….He always gives us a vision and encouragement.

I’ll be praying for that same direction for you, my friend!! I’m here if you need me. ;)
    Denise @ Creative Kitchen recently posted..How to replace your oven element

• Diana Bauman says:

Denise, thanks for your encouraging words! I totally understand when you said that you were worried about how your husband was taking it. I do that all the time. I keep praying that he’s not taking it hard and that God reveals himself to him through this. That’s also so cool to see how God is using both of you in ministry through your work. Very inspirational!! Thanks Denise!

2. Good luck on this journey Diana, we both know all will be fine, trust in Him, your husband and this journey. Just think a year from now you could look back and think – that was the best thing that happened to us!
    Ally’s Sweet & Savory Eats recently posted..Homemade Peanut Butter Granola Bars {with a chocolate drizzle!}

3. 4HungryBunnies says:

Diana,
    I am so sorry you are going through this difficult time, but I will support you in prayer. I know it is scary to not have all the answers yet, but I know God will provide for all your needs. May you find supernatural joy in the journey!

Alisha

4. Paula says:

My husband and myself were both laid off at the same time when i was pregnant with my oldest. God saw us through and the trials actually helped us learn more about each other and the opportunity of a lifetime presented itself. The Lord provides!

5. Maria says:

Right there with you sister! Hope we can chat soon.
    Maria recently posted..Natural Family Planning

6. dina says:

Love you, sweet girl! You have been – and will continue to be in my prayers. I so understand the tension of it all. I lost my job in August – and with literally a million bucks in medical bills hanging over our heads – well – scary. BUT – there is peace in the storm as long as you hold on to the Master. He loves us so, and will NEVER leave nor forsake. Doesn’t mean there won’t be some growing pains, but that’s okay. That’s the stuff that a sweeter walk with Jesus is made of! *smootch*
    dina recently posted..Princess Bars

7. Kanelstrand says:

I wish you the best of luck. It is so good that you so firmly believe in the right outcome for your family! Reading your post brought tears to my eyes because we are going through a tough phase right now and I am not always so strong. Thank you.
    Kanelstrand recently posted..Once Upon a Dime: How to Follow Your Intuition (Part 1)

8. How exciting! And utterly terrifying. Girl, I am praying for you right now. :-) Your faith is SO strong.
    I would be cool with you moving to the East Coast. ;-)
    Stacy @Stacy Makes Cents recently posted..DIY Children’s Chore Chart

9. Stacy says:

Hugs, Diana! I’m going through some big changes and transition too, so I totally hear you about having faith and trusting in what God has in store for you/us. :) I just got this message in my spring advent calendar, which for me, was very timely and appropriate. From Maya Angelou: “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.” Message received, Maya, loud and clear. xo
    Stacy recently posted..Midwinter Merriment: Plant Bare Root

10. Jasanna Czellar says:

that’s rough stuff! We’re not in exactly the same place but we just moved across the country from california to here…because there were no jobs there. We’re still struggling to get settled a bit…trying to find something solid that my husband can jump into and we can get started on him in a good company. It’s tough w/o a degree. :’\ Prayers for you! It is definitely a time of growing and stretching that God is bringing you through!

11. Susan says:

Oh my goodness….I can so relate! My husband hasn’t had a real job in 4 years now. He keeps food on the table by doing handyman work. We are blessed to be fed and warm, but are trying desperately to hang onto the house we built with our own hands. We’ve drained every account and tried every trick with the bank, but they won’t budge. Our home is for sale now even though we have no desire to sell it. My days are filled with strangers touring my house. Selling a house is awful, but when you don’t want to sell it it is torture. The stress is so heavy that sleep and health are becoming a thing of the past.

But I continue to wake up everyday and thank the Lord that He will show us His plan soon. I give thanks for every little thing around me: The birds, the flowers, love, friendship, warmth, food. I give thanks all day long because as scary as our situation is, I know there are thousands of people in the world who don’t even have a 1/16 of what we do.

Diana, you and your beautiful family will be in my prayers. Blessings to everyone here!

12. Jami Balmet says:

Praying for you Diana!! And Praise the Lord for your sense of peace. I know how hard this must be!!

Praying for you throughout this!
    Jami Balmet recently posted..A Traditional Menu Plan {My Experiment This Week}

13. Joan says:

Diana,

I didn’t know your news until tonight. You are so full of spirit and strength, and you and Gabe are both so smart and resourceful-and a team, thank God. While there is a whiff of change in the air, well, as a respected teacher of mine taught me “we don’t grow in our comfort zones”. So easy to say yet to live it can bring on so many things; it can hurt and be unnerving and all of those emotions which are so normal and human, and ok to feel. I am behind you 100%. I do wonder what will be next, and after that. all these stepping stones… If you are considering the East Coast, specifically New York Finger Lakes region or southern NY, let me know off line and I can give you as much feedback as I can. Many hugs, strong mama!

In health and the sincere friendship your space affords me (and dare I say the others here too),
    Joan

• Diana Bauman says:

Joan, thank you so much for your kind words. I’m just beyond blessed to have so many beautiful woman come beside me at this time. You made my day!

• Joan says:

Hi Diana,

Just sending a shout out and I hope things are going well for you guys. Letting you know that you are in my thoughts. Thank you for providing such a rich, creative and meaningful space. I find it nurturing.

Joan

• Diana Bauman says:

Thanks Joan! We are doing well. We’re waiting on a few different opportunities. We’re still not completely sure what direction we’ll go in. Life keeps on ticking, though, that’s for sure ;D Have a wonderful weekend, Joan!! Diana

14. Armand says:

Diana, just came across your blog via your comment on my dad’s (GCaraza) instagram feed. Wow that’s a long way around to say Hi Cousin! Not sure if you even remember me. It’s been many years since we’ve seen each other but sometimes God works in mysterious ways. This post was something I really needed to see. My wifey and I were just stressing over financial things earlier this evening. We took a moment and just let it go and thought it’s gonna be OK. God’s got this. Then I saw your post. What a confirmation! Thank you so much for being a light. God will truly bless you for having that faith that moves mountains. I’ll be praying for you and your family. Can’t wait to hear how it turns out. Remember He has big plans. Jeremiah 29:11

• Diana Bauman says:

Armand, of course I remember you! What a blessing to be in touch with your family again! I’ve missed you all and it’s even cooler to see God working in your lives! You’re right, God’s got this! Thanks Cousin!!

15. Diana,

I’ve been praying for you today. (Just saw this post this morning.)

I’ve found that as God asks me to step out of my comfort zone, it’s a little scary, but I’m always(?) grateful later for it because I got to see God in an amazing and personal way that I would have missed out on otherwise.

God will honor your faith in Him.

Holly
    Holly (Your Gardening Friend) recently posted..6 Tips When Shopping for a Bubbling Boulder

16. […] on smashing our debt, living simply and, through it all, finding joy and contentment in every trial and victory that God sent our […]

17. […] I’ve been a bit discouraged by the time 5:30pm rolls around. My husband was laid off from his job of 12 years this past February. He’s since been blessed with a new career that he’s thoroughly enjoying; however, the […]

18. What a blessing you are! I love your heart for trusting in God and am so happy he has now provided a new job for your hubby! I remember when my husband was laid just after the birth of our first son, it was definitely a tremendous opportunity for us to grow in our trust in the Lord and in learning to embrace trails as a means for growth and closer dependence upon the Lord, just as you have shared. Blessings, Kelly
    Kelly @ The Nourishing Home recently posted..Meal Plan Monday: September 16–29

19. […] A job loss which lead to fear of the unknown, panic and anxiety, the toppling of pride… suffering. […]

20. […] in rain and sun, it was difficult and awesome, to say the least. I gave you bits of information here and there and as I’ve shared before, I couldn’t have possibly endured this season of […]