champurrada

Written by Mely of Mexico In My Kitchen

Chocolate has been called the “drink of the Gods”, and the Mexican History books will narrate how it was given to the soldiers to give strength, and how it was a drink reserved for the priests and the wealthy. Even Hernán Cortés wrote to King Carlos I of Spain telling him that he had found a “drink that builds up resistance and fights fatigue.”

Champurrado-Mexico-in-my-kitchen2-600x400

It still does give resistance and strength to the people that work the land of the cocoa plantations in the Southern part of México. While working as a School Teacher for 2 years in a Cacao Bean plantation in Tabasco, I saw first hand how the men would go to work very early in the morning, carrying with them a full canteen of “pozol.”  A drink made of water, corn dough, and ground cocoa beans. Pozol sustained them in their hard work until the midday hour when the high temperatures would reach 90 degrees in the jungle-like area of southeast México.

Pozol is a drink is for the summer.  Since today is a cold day, it calls for a hot drink to nourish and keep our body warm.

Champurrado, similar to pozol, is a hot thick drink also made of corn dough and chocolate.  There are several variations of Champurrado.  Some add water, milk, or both. Some even add star anise for extra flavor.

Here is my personal recipe for you to try and enjoy in these cold days.

How to make Champurrado – A Mexican Thick Hot Chocolate

Serving Size: Serves 6

How to make Champurrado – A Mexican Thick Hot Chocolate

Champurrado is a hot thick Mexican drink made of corn masa and chocolate.

Ingredients:

Method:

1. In a medium size pot, simmer the milk along with the piloncillo, cinnamon and chocolate until it dissolves. This will take about 6-8 minutes.
  2. Mix the corn flour with the 2 cups of water until all the lumps have dissolved. If needed, use a strainer to get a fine mixture.
  3. Add the corn flour mixture to the pot and stir. Keep simmering at low heat and keep stirring for about 8-10 more minutes until the chocolate has a light gravy consistency.

Warning: Since this is a slightly thick drink it is hotter that you may think, be careful while serving and drinking.

Serve and enjoy!

NOTES:

* The Champurrado’s consistency is like that of a light gravy. If you want a lighter version, reduce the amount of corn flour to 1/3 cup.

* If fresh corn masa is available in your area use 1 cup of masa instead of the corn flour.

* Piloncillo or Panela is unrefined whole cane sugar.  (For more information on natural sweeteners, click here)

Champurrado-Mexico-in-my-kitchen4-600x400

When buying Piloncillo or Panela, make sure it is pure. Some stores carry a look alike version that is just regular sugar in the form of a cone and doesn’t have the flavor or nutrients of Piloncillo.

* To easily cut the piloncillo, warm the piloncillo first.  This will soften the piloncillo.

Have you ever had Champurrado?  What’s your favorite warm drink during this time of the year?

23 Responses to How to make Champurrado – A Mexican Thick Hot Chocolate

1. I had some for the first time last year. I wasn’t sure what to think. I am going to try making it myself this year! :) My favorite drink this time of year is my own tea blend or hot cocoa.
    Katie @ Mexican Wildflower recently posted..Natural Living Mondays #10

2. I have never heard of this before! Awesome! :-)
    Stacy @Stacy Makes Cents recently posted..Pumpkin Pie Breakfast Parfait

3. Jasanna says:

This sounds delicious! I’ve seen piloncillo but not known what it was! Now I know and I’ll have to watch out for the pure variety. Are there any corn flours or masa that are non-GMO that you know of?
    Jasanna recently posted..Spiffy Business: Tukula Giveaway and Review

4. Sara says:

So interesting that you add corn flour at the end. I’ve made Mexican hot chocolate by just melting Ibarra in milk, this is definitely a step up.
    Sara recently posted..Sweet Potato Arugula Salad

5. [...] How to Make Champurrado- A Mexican Thick Hot Chocolate @ A Little Bit of Spain in Iowa [...]

6. Patty says:

There is a man and wife that come to our house about every 2 weeks selling tamales. In the back of their car, nestled between the pots of tamales, is a big cauldron of champurrado. The gentleman says it’s the recipe his grandmother made for the field workers back in his home town. It has become a special treat for me. Thank you for posting this recipe, now I can share it with my friends and family!

7. Lizbeth says:

This is great! my mom is at mexico and im recieving a posada in a few days. my cousins dont know how to make it so this helps out a lot!

8. [...] Liquid hot chocolate, a drink once reserved for priests and the gods, can now be made in your home. Prepared with fresh ingredients and powerful spices, this hot chocolate is fit for a king! Check out the hot chocolate recipe [...]

9. maria says:

This sounds delicious! My mom would make me a similar drink when I was a new mom and beginning to nurse my daughter. It’s thick consistency and starchiness helps boost supply. Thank you so much for the recipe. I will be needing it soon… as fall is around the corner :)

10. Angel says:

As a young boy I remember having this drink on Christmas and there’s nothing in my opinion that comes even close to the aroma that fills the house and that sweet comfort chocolate drink brings a smile every time to my face.

11. Maria says:

I love atole the masa :) and maizena…hmmmm…but tonight I will be making champurrado, thank you for the recipe.

12. Versa says:

My dad used to make us atole and I just love it, especially the memories of my dad that come to mind now that I make it. I have never had champurrado but I will definitely be making it. Thanks for the recipe!

13. Andrea Castaneda says:

I always have to beg Mami to make some (I could. Drink this All fall & winter!) She hates making it…
    Now I can make my own!

14. Tia RuRu says:

I tasted it for the first time yesterday at a Resturant in town…And it was very tasty…Thanks for the recipe I sure will make it for my family….

15. Celia Glover says:

I love this drink , I will be trying this recipe, I usually buy it from Food City in Phoenix AZ , this year I have moved to Nebraska and do not have the luxury of running to the market for a quick cup, at least I have not found it yet, THANKS FOR THE RECIPE AND A TOUCH OF HOME !

16. Amelia says:

i used to take the bus across town in Los Angeles to get champurado and tamales. When i moved to Oklahoma in 1990 i realized that the only way i was going to eat tamales was if i cooked them myself. i have been looking for a champurrado recipe. we now have more hispanic food in Tulsa Ok but i have not found champurado anywhere. thanks

17. Alexandra says:

Thanks for this recipe, I grew up in California and we had delicious Champurado made at our church as soon as the weather changed. Now that we’re on the East Coast and I seem to be the only Mexican around, I’m thankful for this site so that I can make it now. It’s hard to find ingredients but I’m determined.

18. Melina says:

Hello Mely, I tried the recipe last night and it came out AWESOME! I use a lot of your recipes and I have all been a success. Thank you so much

19. […] item which originated from Mexico. The champorado was derived from the Mexican drink called Champurrado, so how the Filipinos inherited the […]