Now that the harvest season has begun, I find so much joy in making simple meals with fresh picked vegetables from my gardens.
I was super excited to harvest 4 beautiful heads of cauliflower this past week. Aren’t they beautiful? They’re so much fun to watch grow
They teased me for quite some time. For two and a half months I watered them without seeing any signs of head growth. It was only within the past two weeks that they started to grow beautiful white florets. Once they started to develop, they took off…fast!
Besides the cauliflower, I also seem to be harvesting a basket full of veg every other day. (see more on instagram)
It’s been a blessing indeed, as we’ve had such a dry, dry summer. I pray for rain every day (and would appreciate your prayers as well) as my Fall lettuces still have not sprouted which I’ll probably re-sow sometime this week and hope for the best.
With all of the harvesting and preserving in this season, I’ve been making simple meals.
In my opinion, simple is the best way to cook so that one can enjoy a vegetables impeccable, fresh and ripe flavors that you can only taste in this season. My heart skips a beat…they’re just good.
Roasted Balsamic Vegetables with Chicken Sausage
As much as I love to eat my fresh picked vegetables raw and lightly cooked or sauteed, I also love to roast them to really bring out their deep, sweetness. For this simple meal, I tossed my fresh picked vegetables in extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh oregano, and large granule sea salt.
I put them in my cast iron skillet and topped them with chicken sausages.
I covered my skillet with a piece of parchment paper (since I no longer use using aluminum foil), and roasted it at 375F for 45 minutes, then uncovered it for an additional 15 minutes.
Super simple, and oh so yummy.
A simple gardent to table recipe – roasted balsamic vegetables with chicken sausage.
- 2 cups fresh cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 15 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 eggplant, roughly chopped
- 1 zucchini, roughly chopped
- 2 tbls fresh oregano, roughly chopped
- large handful of small sweet peppers (or 1 bell pepper, sliced in strips)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbls balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp large granule sea salt
- 4-5 chicken sausages
- Toss all the vegetables and oregano in a large bowl with the extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt.
- Place in a large cast iron skillet or baking dish.
- Arrange the chicken sausages on top of the vegetables.
- Bake, covered, at 375F for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and cooked through.
- Serve garnished with fresh oregano and fresh tomatoes.
Do you have a garden? Tell me, what are you currently harvesting? If you don’t have a garden, please let me know what kind of gardening topics you’d like me to cover to get you started on your own in the comments below.