As I’ve been reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, I’ve been inspired to eat more local produce and in its season. My garden is nowhere near producing and the Des Moines Farmers’ Market doesn’t start for another 2 weeks so I called Picket Fence Creamery and sure enough they had fresh spinach from a local farmer calling my name. I had to pick up milk anyways so it was a treat knowing that they were going to hold their last bag of spinach just for me. I used it to make this wonderfully delicious and simple spinach lasagna.
Spinach Lasagna, recipe from Animal, Vegetable, Miracle
- 1 pound whole-wheat lasagna noodles
- 4 cups spinach,chopped
- 16oz tomato sauce
- 2 cups fresh ricotta
- 2 cups mozzarella, shredded
- Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce on the bottom of a large casserole.
- Cover surface with a layer of noodles, 1/2 of the ricotta, 1/2 of the spinach, 1/3 of the remaining sauce, and 1/3 of the mozzarella.
- Lay down another layer of noodles, the rest of the ricotta, the rest of the spinach, 1/3 of the sauce, and 1/3 of the mozzarella.
- Spread a final layer of noodles, the remainder of the sauce and mozzarella. Bake uncovered at 350F for 40 minutes.