I love legumes. Packed with protein, nutrients and best of all, my kids will eat them!
Now that local Spring veggies are in season, judias blancas con espinaca is a great dish to use up that Spinach. Enjoy 🙂
- 1 cup Great Northern White Beans (Or Garbanzos or Cannellini) soaked overnight.
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Slice Bread
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp Spanish Paprika (Pimenton)
- 1 lb Spinach
- 3 garlic cloves
- Drain the beans and rinse under cold water.
- Place in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes or until the beans are tender. Drain.
- In a large pan, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil and fry the bread until golden brown. Transfer to a plate.
- Saute the onion in the remaining olive oil (add a little more if you need to) over low heat until softened and then add the tomatoes and continue simmering for 10 minutes over low heat.
- To the pan, stir in the paprika and add the spinach. Cover and cook for a few minutes longer until the spinach has wilted.
- Stir in the beans.
- Place the garlic and fried bread in a food processor and process until smooth. Mix into the bean mixture.
- Add 2/3 cup water, cover and simmer gently for 20-30 minutes, adding more water if necessary.