Ever since visiting Rick Bayless’s restaurant La Frontera Grill, Gabe and I are hooked on this Fresh Tomatillo/Cilantro salsa. It’s unbelievable! The freshness of the tomatillos and cilantro are complemented by the bite of the white onion, garlic and jalapeno. Besides how amazing this salsa is, it’s unbelievably easy to make! All you do is mix and blend. After trying this, you’ll probably agree with me that you’ll never buy green salsa in a jar again! I can’t wait to start harvesting my own tomatillos from my garden!
Rick Bayless’s Fresh Tomatillo Salsa
- 4 medium (about 8 ounces total) tomatillos, husked, rinsed and quartered
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and quartered
- jalapeno pepper to taste (I used only a small piece of a pepper. Be careful as a little bit can go a long way!)
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup (loosely packed) roughly chopped cilantro
- Salt to taste
- White onion diced to garnish
- Combine the tomatillos, garlic, chile and cilantro in a food processor or blender. Add 1/4 cup water and a generous 1/2 teaspoon salt. Process to a coarse puree; if using a blender, begin blending on low, at first pulsing to get the mixture moving evenly through the blender blades.
- Pour into a salsa dish and thin with a little more water if necessary to give the salsa an easily spoonable consistency.
- Taste and season with additional salt if you think necessary.
- Serve within an hour.