A heartwarming lamb stew perfect for a cool summer night. This stew features the flavours of chorizo, fava beans and one of my new favorite greens, sweet potato leaves.
I was so excited to find these at Yang’s Organics, a local vendor at the Des Moines Downtown Farmers Market. A beautiful bunch of leaves, crisp and green. I asked about them and quickly snatched up a large bundle for $1! I had no idea sweet potato leaves were edible and am so glad to have used them. They are mild and sweet, not at all bitter. They wilted nicely in the stew, kept it’s color and had a pleasant texture. Nutritionally they are filled with protein, calcium, iron, vitamin a, vitamin c, and folate. They are so plesantly mild that they can be eaten raw in salads or blended in green smoothies. These are now one of my favorite greens and I will definitely be seeking out more next week to blanch and save for the winter.
Stewed Lamb, featuring chorizo, sweet potato leaves and fava beans
- 1lb lamb stew meat
- 1 1/2 cups dried fava beans
- 4 small links Palacios Chorizo Sausage, sliced
- 1 large bunch sweet potato leaves
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 3 tbl extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups filtered water
- Kosher/Sea Salt to taste
- Soak the fava beans in water overnight. The next day, separate the skin from the fava beans.
- In a large pan, saute the onions in 3 tbls of olive oil. When the onions have turned transparent, add the garlic and lamb stew meat.
- Brown the lamb on all sides.
- When the lamb is browned add the chorizo sausage, fava beans, sprinkle of salt and 1 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes adding more water if necessary.
- After simmering for 30 minutes or until the fava beans have become tender, add the sweet potato leaves a little at a time until they are all wilted. 5 minutes or so.
- Serve with crusty bread!
Nourish your Family Today!
Joing the My Humble Kitchen community today and I'll send you my eBook, A Month of Meals from My Humble Kitchen to Yours absolutely free. You'll receive recipes, techniques in the kitchen, gardening tips, and so much more to nourish your family physically and spiritually!