For this recipe, I used what I had in my refrigerator and pantry. I wanted this recipe to be simple yet delicious without sacrificing flavor. For recipes like this, I really appreciate the extra effort that I put into canning and freezing. It makes dishes easy to make, nourishing and filled with depth in flavor. This stuffed pepper uses some of the flavors of Mexico. Cilantro, cumin, chili powder, homemade salsa (recipe coming soon) to spice it up and black olives to compliment the flavors. A delicious dish which pairs wonderfully with homemade Mexican rice.
Stuffed Marconi Peppers – Mexi Style
- 2 large Italian Marconi (Roaster) Peppers
- 1 lb ground grass fed beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 cup homemade salsa
- 1/2 cup homemade beef broth
- 1 tbls tomato paste
- 1/3 cup black olives
- handful of freshly cut cilantro
- 1tsp chili powder (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt to taste
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- In a pan, heat 3 tbls olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute until transluscent.
- Add the salsa, beef broth and tomato paste and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- While the sauce is simmering, brown 1lb grass fed beef in a different pan.
- Once the beef is browned and the sauce has thickened, incorporate the beef into the sauce.
- Add the olives, cilantro, chili powder, cumin and salt. Mix through, turn off the heat and set aside.
- Pour most of the liquid from the meat mixture to cover the bottom an oven proof dish.
- Clean, cut the top off and remove the seeds from the peppers. Slice them so they can be filled. If using regular bell peppers, just cut off the top and remove the seeds.
- Fill the peppers with the meat mixture and place them on top of the liquid in the ovenproof dish.
- Top with grated cheese
- Bake at 375 for 35 minutes covered. Bake an additional 15 minutes uncovered.
Nourish your Family Today!
Joing the My Humble Kitchen community today and I'll send you my eBook, A Month of Meals from My Humble Kitchen to Yours absolutely free. You'll receive recipes, techniques in the kitchen, gardening tips, and so much more to nourish your family physically and spiritually!