Sourdough Chocolate Cake
Although I’m not a baker at heart, I LOVE to decorate cakes (my cake gallery)! This recipe makes enough batter to fill one 9″ round 2″ high. Double the recipe to make a beautiful layered cake! P.S. I’m working on a naturally sweetened buttercream icing perfect for any birthday or wedding cake!
- 1 cup sourdough starter (make sure it’s been fed and past the bubbly stage)
- 1 cup raw/whole milk
- 8 1/2 oz, whole wheat pastry flour (I used freshly ground soft white berries)
- 1 cup raw honey
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp celtic sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/4 oz cocoa powder (not dutch process)
- 2 farm fresh eggs
|In this image you can see from the green line pointed out above, how much the batter rose in 8 hours.|
- Mix the starter, milk, and flour in a large bowl. Let it sit overnight for a minimum of 8 hours. (My first cake soaked for 18 hours which ended up being to tart for my families liking. 8 hours was perfect.)
- In a separate bowl or stand mixer on medium speed, beat together the honey, oil, vanilla, salt, baking soda and cocoa.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating after each addition.
- Combine the flour mixture with the chocolate mixture and mix through until smooth.
- Pour the batter into an oiled and floured 9″ round or 9″ x 13″ pan.
- Bake the cake for 30-40 minutes at 350F or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- If turning the cake out onto a platter, remove the cake and let cool for 10 minutes. Immediately turn onto a wired rack to cool.
Naturally Sweetened Chocolate Buttercream Icing
- 1 cup unsweetened, softened butter
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2-4 tablespoons raw milk, to thin to desired consistency
- Blend all ingredients by hand or mixer until smooth and to your desired consistency.
Nourish your Family Today!
Joing the My Humble Kitchen community today and I'll send you my eBook, A Month of Meals from My Humble Kitchen to Yours absolutely free. You'll receive recipes, techniques in the kitchen, gardening tips, and so much more to nourish your family physically and spiritually!