Usually during this time of the year we’re hanging around the sixties and pleasantly enjoying outside activities, gardening and Spring cleaning. Over the past couple of days we’ve taken a leap from Spring straight into Summer.
It’s been HOT! We had a high of 93 yesterday and with the humidity it felt over 100 degrees.
Now, I’m not complaining. My Spring gardens are thriving and it’s been enjoyable watching my kids play out back soaking themselves in the sprinklers.
However, with all of the work, sweat and toil I always get the craving for an icy cold lemonade.
We always drink our fair share of water but with the jump in temperature and the kids soaking themselves outside I decided to jump into summer myself and make us all a special treat.
The kids were delighted to say the least.
I’m so glad we were able to enjoy this yesterday as in the next couple of days we’re dropping back down to the sixties. That’s Iowa for you.
This is a fairly typical homemade lemonade sweetened with organic pure cane juice. Azucar Morena. To give it an additional burst of lemon, I add the whole lemon halves into the pitcher after squeezing them. Make sure to buy organic lemons if you’ll be doing the same. To brighten it up, a couple sprigs of freshly cut mint.
Icy Cold Mint Lemonade
- 3/4-1 cup pure cane juice, Azucar Morena
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, reserve lemon halves if organic
- 6 cups water
- 2 sprigs fresh mint
1. In a pot heat pure cane juice and 1 cup water until the sugar has dissolved.
2. To a large glass pitcher add the sugar water, lemon juice, lemon halves, 6 cups water and 2 sprigs of fresh mint.
3. Stir well and chill in the refrigerator for a couple of hours where the contents can cool and the flavors can meld.
4. Serve over ice garnished with a lemon slice and mint.
Nourish your Family Today!
Joing the My Humble Kitchen community today and I'll send you my eBook, A Month of Meals from My Humble Kitchen to Yours absolutely free. You'll receive recipes, techniques in the kitchen, gardening tips, and so much more to nourish your family physically and spiritually!