Come 3pm my kids are ready for an after school snack.
Our usual snacks of choice are fruit, carrot sticks, yogurt, and cheese; however, I also like to surprise them with sweet treats that are both tasty and wholesome.
When I do bake them sweet treats it’s usually chewy granola bars or these super yummy oatmeal jam bars.
Not only do they taste fantastic but they come together quickly. Which is so important to me since I need my afternoon to clean up and start thinking about supper.
Naturally sweetened with raw honey and pure maple syrup, they take about five minutes to prep and 25 minutes to bake.
As a jam filling, I used wild blackberry preserves that I canned earlier this year. However, any flavor of jam will make these taste faboosh!
These bars are sweet, soft, and scrumptious. They come together quickly which makes them a perfect after school snack.
- 1 1/2 cups freshly milled soft white wheat berries (whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (feel free to substitute butter)
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup jam or preserve of choice
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Butter an 8" square baking or cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, oats, salt, and baking soda.
- Add the coconut oil (preferably melted), honey, and maple syrup.
- Transfer about 2/3 of the mixture to the prepared baking pan. Pack the mixture down firmly.
- With a spoon, spread the jam or preserves over the dough.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/3 mixture over the preserves.
- Finish with a sprinkle of oats to cover any bare areas.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting.
These bars can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Nourish your Family Today!
Joing the My Humble Kitchen community today and I'll send you my eBook, A Month of Meals from My Humble Kitchen to Yours absolutely free. You'll receive recipes, techniques in the kitchen, gardening tips, and so much more to nourish your family physically and spiritually!