If you subscribe to my traditional menu plan on a budget, you’ll be enjoying these bad boys on Wednesday. Black bean, sweet potato, and kale tacos with a side of cilantro lime rice.
The combination may seem a bit odd but, wow, these flavors work brilliantly together.
The sweet potatoes are sauteed in coconut oil. Once they’re browned and cooked through, cooked black beans and kale are added to the mix. It’s then topped with creamy avocado bites and spiced up with a leftover chimichurri salsa.
After taking a bite of this, I really don’t think you’ll mind that there’s no meat involved. This is just another example of how my family budgets grass fed, pastured meats into our diets.
We eat less of it during the year but with meals like this, you really wouldn’t realize it.
Just looking at this veg makes me so excited to start thinking about my new garden plans. I can’t wait!
Budget friendly, nourishing, and filled with flavor. These black bean, sweet potato, and kale tacos sauteed in coconut oil will soon be a family favorite.
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped into 1/4” cubes
- 1/2 cup black beans per person
- 2 large handfuls of chopped kale
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- corn tortillas
- 1 cup white Basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup packed cilantro, chopped
- Splash of lemon juice
- In a skillet or cast iron pan heat 1/4 cup coconut oil.
- Add the sweet potatoes and saute until browned and softened. 10 minutes.
- Add black beans and kale and saute until the kale just begins to wilt. 4 minutes or so.
- In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, bring 2 cups water, and 2 tsp coconut oil to a boil.
- Add the rice and salt. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to low and simmer covered for 25 minutes.
- Once the rice is done, allow to sit for 5 minutes or so, then fluff with a fork and add the cilantro and a splash of lemon juice. Mix through.
- Garnish tacos with a chimichurri salsa or salsa verde and chopped avocado.
I’m curious, are you thinking about your new garden plans? Please share what your excited to start this year?