How have you been enjoying your summer?
I’ve been really enjoying my time of rest with my husband and children. We’ve been doing all sorts of activities together.
Baseball games, VBS, hitting the bike trails, camping, and we even took the boys to their first drive in movie.
The boys and I have also been gardening, foraging, and recently started our jamming sessions with local strawberries and cherries.
I have a yummy cherry vanilla jam recipe to share with you later this week 😉 Today we’re hitting the local u-pick farm again to pick blueberries!
With all the summer fun, it’s definitely been a priority for me to plan meals that come together quickly.
A Simple Summer Meal: Grilled Cayenne Shrimp with a Corn and Black Bean Salad
This is a simple summer meal that comes together quickly. Light, fresh, and full of spicy zest!
The black bean and corn salad is super easy to make and tastes best when chilled for 30min – 1hour before serving. I added fresh from the garden oregano, but feel free to substitute that with mint or cilantro.
The grilled cayenne shrimp cooks in about 6 minutes and the kids enjoy it just as much as adults.
I cook mine on top of a cast iron grill, just like this one. It makes grilling in the summer time fast and easy.
Grilled cayenne shrimp with a corn and black bean salad is a simple summer meal that comes together quickly. Light, fresh, and full of spicy zest!
- 9 shrimps per person, peeled and de-veined
- salt, pepper, and cayenne to season
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans
- 3 ears of corn, kernels shucked and cooked
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 3 tbls fresh oregano, roughly chopped (substitute mint or cilantro)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- In a large bowl, add the shrimp and toss with a dash of salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Grill on a hot indoor cast iron griddle or outdoor barbecue for about 2-3 minutes per side or until they are just cooked through. Please make sure to not overcook your shrimp. They’ll turn tough and rubbery.
- To cook the corn: shuck the kernels off the cob with a knife. Place the kernels in a pot with enough water to cover by 2”. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the black beans, corn, red bell pepper, green onions, oregano, salt, olive oil, and lemon juice.
- Mix thoroughly and chill for at least 15-30 minutes before serving.
What have you been doing this summer? I’m always looking for more simple, summer meals. Please share what you’ve been cooking this summer in the comments below.
Nourish your Family Today!
Joing the My Humble Kitchen community today and I'll send you my eBook, A Month of Meals from My Humble Kitchen to Yours absolutely free. You'll receive recipes, techniques in the kitchen, gardening tips, and so much more to nourish your family physically and spiritually!