Beets are one of my favorite vegetables to eat. They’re a bit sweet, yet deep with earthy flavors. They’re especially gratifying to grow, although this year I’ve been battling the squirrels and squinnies as they adore their mild and tender leafy tops.
I was only able to harvest one beet from my summer crops.
She was a beauty though.
I currently have three more rows of beets sown in my garden as I’m hoping for a good Fall crop to enjoy with our holiday meals. I’ll be covering them up with row covers to keep them cooler and keep the critters away.
In the meantime, I’ve been able to enjoy beets grown by my local farmers. I’ve been buying a few bundles each week which I’ve been fermenting (my kids love pickled beets), roasting, stuffing, and boiling. Yeah, I love beets especially to make salads with.
Since beets are sweet once they’re roasted or boiled, they pair really well with fresh fruit.
A Roasted Beet and Watermelon Salad For Those Late Summer Days
This beet and watermelon salad is incredibly refreshing especially for those sweltering days we have in late summer. To be economical and for great taste and a bit of crunch I added the beet tops and stems to the salad. I tossed it in a simple balsamic vinaigrette and finished by adding a bit of feta.
A roasted beet and watermelon salad is simple to make and refreshing for those sweltering end of summer days.
- 1 bunch beets, roasted and chopped
- 6-8 beet tops with stems chopped
- 2 cups watermelon, chopped in 1” chunks
- 1/2 cup red onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tbls balsamic vinegar
- feta cheese to garnish
- In a large bowl add the beets, tops, stems, watermelon, red onion, and salt.
- Toss all ingredients with the extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Garnish with feta cheese.
More Beet Salads You’ll Enjoy
- Roasted Beets, Tops, and Green Bean Salad in a Honey Vinaigrette
- Stuffed Beets
- Beet and Green Bean Salad
- Beet, Fennel, and Blood Orange Salad in a Citrus Vinaigrette
What are some of your favorite late summer salads or dishes? Please share with us in the comments below.