With so many freshly picked strawberries from turtle farm, I did the best I could to eat them fresh and use them up in homemade recipes before freezing what was left. I decided to make a sweet jelly filled topping for puff pastry – a light and flaky sweet sensation!
Strawberry Apple Puffed Sensations. A gently sweetened treat for early spring.
- 3 small apples, sliced
- 1 cup whole strawberries, cut into quarters
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 recipe puff pastry
- In a small saucepan add the sliced apples and 2 tbs butter over medium heat. Bring to a sizzle and cover for 10 minutes or until soft. (This will add natural pectin to the sauce creating a light jelly)
- Add the quartered strawberries and honey, and mash until the strawberries and apples break down and a thick sauce has been formed. Heat for an additional 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Cut off a piece of puff pastry.
- Roll out your puff pastry to 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch.
- Cut out 5-inch circles and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 425 for 7 minutes.
- Top the circles with the strawberry/apple topping.
- Bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until the pastries are golden.