- 6 eggplants
- 6 tbls extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tbls long-grain rice
- 2 tbls bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbls extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 6-8 tomato’s
- 1 tsp sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Make a very concentrated tomato sauce using the tomato sauce ingredients. ( I concentrated homemade spaghetti sauce that I had frozen)
- Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise, slash the flesh, season lightly with salt, and put them into an ovenproof baking dish.
- Pour the oil over them and roast for 30 minutes, until the flesh is soft.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of unsalted water to a boil. Add the rice, stir, and cook over high heat for 12-18 minutes, until tender.
- Drain the rice in in a colander and rinse under cold water.
- Drain well again and season lightly with salt.
- Remove the eggplants from the oven. Let cool slightly, then scoop out the flesh with a teaspoon without piercing the skins.
- Remove and discard the seeds, then chop the flesh.
- Combine the eggplant flesh, rice, and tomato sauce in a bowl and divide into the eggplant skins.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Return to the oven and cook for 25 minutes, until golden.
We ate this with a side of swiss chard sauteed in evoo and garlic 🙂