Before I left for Spain I put my mason jar downstairs and let it ferment for the two weeks that I was gone. I was so excited to get back and open up the jar. As I opened the jar, it started to bubble and sizzle. My first taste was great! Crunchy asparagus spears with a little bite! A perfect side to my morning eggs!
Naturally Pickled Asparagus with Green Garlic
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut in half. Remove little overlaying pieces on stalk as dirt can be trapped underneath these folds.
- 2 long stalks of green garlic chopped
- 3 freshly cut stems of tarragon (about 4″ tall)
- 1/2 tbl black peppercorn
- 1/2 tbl coriander seeds
- 1 tbls sea salt
- 4 tbls whey (If you do not have whey, feel free to add 1 tbls extra sea salt)
- filtered water (must be filtered as chlorine will disrupt the fermentation process)
- In a quart sized mason jar, add the asparagus, spears down.
- Add the tarragon in between the asparagus spears.
- Add the green garlic, peppercorn and coriander seeds.
- Add the filtered water, sea salt and whey. Make sure you add enough water to cover and 1″ from the top of the jar.
- Cover and shake it up.
- Uncover and make sure all your spears are underneath the liquid.
- Allow to ferment in a dark cool place for 3 days up to two weeks (or more).