Strawberries and rhubarb go great together and what can add to that but fresh cream! A great added bonus about using fresh or whole un-homogenized milk is that the cream naturally separates from the milk. Whenever I need some fresh cream, all I do is skim some from the top of our milk. It tastes great, is convenient and saves us $ from having to go out and buy cream that is usually UHT (ultra high temperature). Since my berries were picked ripe they were sweet so I only had to add about a tablespoon of organic coconut palm sugar. (I have a post coming up about the wonderful people at Sweet Tree Sustainable Sweeteners) I used pureed strawberries to naturally sweeten and hint with it’s flavor. The rhubarb shined and a splash of cream, topped with strawberries, made this baked oatmeal a special seasonal breakfast.
Baked Strawberry Cream and Rhubarb Oatmeal
- 1 cup of steel cut oatmeal
- 3/4 cup fresh whole milk, or yogurt.
- 1/4 cup pureed strawberries
- 1 1/2 – 2 stalks rhubarb, diced
- 1 tbls butter
- 1 tbls organic coconut palm sugar or more to taste (sub rapadura or raw honey)
- 1 farm fresh egg
- sliced strawberries
- Soak the oatmeal in a baking dish overnight in 3/4 cup milk or yogurt.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In the same dish, add the pureed strawberries, rhubarb, butter, coconut palm sugar, a beaten egg and mix thoroughly.
- Sprinkle with coconut palm sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Serve into dishes, splashed with fresh cream and topped with sliced strawberries. Mix it all together for the kids 😀
Nourish your Family Today!
Joing the My Humble Kitchen community today and I'll send you my eBook, A Month of Meals from My Humble Kitchen to Yours absolutely free. You'll receive recipes, techniques in the kitchen, gardening tips, and so much more to nourish your family physically and spiritually!