One of my favorite dishes to prepare during the busy time of garden prep and Spring planting is a crustless quiche. During this season of an abundance of backyard eggs and lack of time, it’s a simple and satisfying dish that the entire family enjoys.
A crustless quiche is easy to make and you can create any sort of rendition according to what you have on hand.
For this version, I made a quick saute of onion with pastured ground pork and Spanish chorizo sausage blended in with fresh spinach and Pecorino Romano cheese. A heartier version that’s sure to please any man and tastes fantastic the next day… even cold.
A Crustless Sausage and Spinach Quiche
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1lb pastured ground pork
- 1tbls dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1/2 cup chopped Spanish chorizo sausage
- 1 cup shredded Pecorino Romano cheese (or any other hard, aged cheese such as parmesan)
- 5 farm fresh eggs
- 2 good handfuls of fresh Spinach
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat 2tbls extra virgin olive oil in a skillet or cast iron pan. Add the onion and saute until transparent. Add the ground pork, oregano, chili powder, garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and saute until the pork has cooked through.
3. Add the Spanish chorizo sausage and saute for an additional 5 minutes.
4. Add 2 good handfuls of spinach and toss for an additional 3-5 minutes or until the spinach has wilted through. Set Aside.
5. In a large bowl, whisk 5 eggs. Then, add the cheese and contents of the sausage and spinach mixture. Add 1/2 tsp salt and mix well.
6. Pour the egg and sausage mixture into a well greased pie pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
In my opinion a quiche taste even better the next day cold. But then again, I’m Spanish and enjoy cold tortilla Espanola 😉
Nourish your Family Today!
Joing the My Humble Kitchen community today and I'll send you my eBook, A Month of Meals from My Humble Kitchen to Yours absolutely free. You'll receive recipes, techniques in the kitchen, gardening tips, and so much more to nourish your family physically and spiritually!