A pantry staple in our household is homemade mayonnaise.
Homemade mayonnaise is easy and quick to make. You can make it with 4 simple ingredients and feel great knowing exactly what’s in your Mayo. Real Food.
In Spain, everyone makes their own homemade mayonnaise and typically use Extra Virgin Olive Oil as their base ingredient. I enjoy the deep and peppery flavor especially when mixed in Ensaladilla Rusa.
In the States, however, we’re used to a much milder mayonnaise specifically for sandwiches.
My husband was the first to ask me to make something more to his style so I came up with a homemade mayonnaise using a combination of grapeseed oil and extra virgin olive oil.
A mild mayonnaise with a hint of extra virgin olive oil. It makes a perfect spread for sandwiches, deviled eggs, salads and as a base for many condiments.
How to Make Homemade Mayonnaise With 4 Simple Ingredients
1. In a measuring cup, combine both grapeseed and extra virgin olive oil.
2. To a blender add the egg and egg yolk.
3. To the blender add 2 tablespoons lemon juice. This is essential as the acid binds the ingredients.
4. To the blender add 1/2 teaspoon salt. (You can also add 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard which I omit if I don’t have it)
5. Blend the ingredients for a couple of seconds and then SLOWLY, drizzle the oil into the blender while blending.
That’s it. Homemade Mayonnaise.
If you use it as is and store in the refrigerator it should keep for 3-4 days, however, if you ferment the mayonnaise for 6 hours, it will keep for 2 months in the refrigerator.
How to Ferment Homemade Mayonnaise to Keep for 2 Months
All you need to add to the mayonnaise to allow it to keep for 2 months is whey.
1. To collect whey, drain yogurt through a cheesecloth. The liquid that drains is the the whey and filled with lactic acid which will preserve the mayonnaise.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of whey to your mayonnaise, mix thoroughly and allow to sit out at room temperature for 6 hours.
After 6 hours, place in the refrigerator and it should keep for 2 months.
Super easy, taste great, and, most importantly, it has no hidden ingredients.
Links of Interest:
Have you ever made your own mayonnaise? Tell me which oils are your favorite to use?
Nourish your Family Today!
Joing the My Humble Kitchen community today and I'll send you my eBook, A Month of Meals from My Humble Kitchen to Yours absolutely free. You'll receive recipes, techniques in the kitchen, gardening tips, and so much more to nourish your family physically and spiritually!