There’s something about simple fried foods during the summer time that makes life something to be enjoyed. Biting into food with a crispy crunch knowing that it’s a bit naughty makes everything seem, oh so right.
Hey, it’s summer – a time to relax and have fun, and let me tell you, these Baja style, beer battered fish tacos are a lot of fun!
When I bite into a Baja fish taco, I like to hear that crunch followed by a deep flavor that you can only get from a good quality crafted beer. For my tacos I used Boulevard Wheat but I’ve also used a Fat Tire from New Belgium that have turned out delicious in their own right.
These tacos pair well with my Mexican summer coleslaw on the side or even garnished within.
Although Big and Little Brother aren’t fans of the taco, they love to take the pieces of fried fish and dip them in ketchup. Like I said, it’s summer. The time to relax and have fun.
Baja Style, Beer Battered Fish Tacos, a perfectly crunchy and full flavored summer meal.
- 1lb wild caught cod, cut into bite sized pieces
- extra virgin olive oil or lard for frying
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup good quality crafted beer
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbls lemon juice
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeds removed and deveined, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the flour baking powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and salt. Add the egg and beer, then stir into a batter.
- Lay the fish out on a flat surface and dust with flour, then mix the fish pieces into the batter.
- In a skillet or cast iron pan gently heat 1/2” of olive oil or lard. Working in batches, add the pieces of fish making sure they have a good coating of batter. Fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes before serving.
What are your favorite fried foods to eat during the summer time?
Nourish your Family Today!
Joing the My Humble Kitchen community today and I'll send you my eBook, A Month of Meals from My Humble Kitchen to Yours absolutely free. You'll receive recipes, techniques in the kitchen, gardening tips, and so much more to nourish your family physically and spiritually!