You know it’s zucchini madness season when your neighbors come knocking on your door gifting you bags of zucchini.
What’s kind of funny is that although my zucchini and yellow squash plants are just now starting to put on fruit, I have quite an abundance in my kitchen. My friends, neighbors, and farmers market vendors have been giving them away which has been a blessing.
It almost makes me rethink growing them to save on space in my own garden beds. Nah, they’re a beautiful plant to watch grow.
How To Cook With Zucchini
I know there are many people that hesitate to use zucchini. Here’s the thing about this squash, they’re an incredibly mild tasting vegetable that contain mostly water.
This makes them a perfect vegetable to use for cooking and baking. They’re so bland that they don’t impart much flavor at all. Currently, I’m chopping up a zucchini a day and throwing it into each and every meal I prepare. I do this because they are extremely economical to buy (often times free) and of the great health benefits for my family.
Zucchini contains vitamins and minerals which include vitamin A, vitamin C, folate, manganese, potassium, and calcium. For the price and nutritional bang, they’re worth stocking up on and even preserving.
Mexi Zucchini Fritters
A great way to use zucchini is by making fritters. As I usually do, I like to Mexi things up in my kitchen since I like spice and bold flavors. Since zucchini’s are made up of mostly of water, I start by dicing my zucchini and salting it which helps to release most of its moisture.
I don’t do this for every meal, just for dishes that I don’t want to turn out soggy. I then ring out the zucchini which has been wrapped in cheesecloth to squeeze out as much of the water as I can.
That’s quite a bit of water, huh?! I then give the water to my backyard chickens.
That’s the bulk of the work. Once I’ve strained out the water from the zucchini, I mix it with the remaining ingredients for the fritters and fry away.
It’s really easy and I know you’ll love that extra special kick from fresh diced jalapeno that I’ve included in this recipe.
A great way to use zucchini in late summer is by making zucchini fritters. This recipe for Mexi Zucchini Fritters calls for finely diced fresh jalapeno peppers and cilantro to give it extra kick and flavor.
- 2 medium sized zucchini’s, shredded
- 1 medium sized yellow squash, shredded
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
- 2 tbls fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded, de-veined, and finely diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- dash of pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- virgin coconut oil
- Trim ends off zucchini and yellow squash, then grate them either on a box grater or using the shredding blade of a food processor.
- In a large bowl, toss the zucchini and yellow squash with 1 teaspoon coarse salt and set aside for 10 minutes. Squeeze the excess moisture out of the squash by wrapping it up in a clean tea towel or piece of cheese cloth and wringing it.
- In the same large bowl, mix together the squeezed squash, green onions, red onion, garlic, cilantro, jalapeno, salt, pepper, egg, flour, and baking powder.
- In a large skillet or cast iron pan, gently heat 3-4 tbls of virgin coconut oil.
- Working in batches add 2 tbls of zucchini fritter batter at a time to the pan and brown on both sides. 3-4 minutes per side. After each batch, add a bit more coconut oil.
20 More Zucchini Recipes From Your Favorite Simple Living Bloggers
To get you on your way to making the most of your abundance in zucchini, below are 20 More Nourishing Zucchini Recipes. You’ll find a mix of savory, sweet, and even CANDY! I was surprised you could make candy with zucchini! I’m SO trying it this year 😀
- Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies from Live Renewed
- Veggie Penne Saute from The Nourishing Home
- Sausage Zucchini Bake from Kitchen Stewardship
- A Summer Skillet Meal – Red Peppers, Zucchini, and Eggs from My Humble Kitchen
- Grilled Fish Provencal from The Nourishing Home
- Summer Squash Gummy Candy Sweetened with Grape Juice Concentrate from Common Sense Homesteading
- Zucchini Uses: The Tasty, Thirst-Quenching, and Surprising from Traditional Foods
- Dehydrating Zucchini and Summer Squash from GNOWFGLINS
- Zucchini Spaghetti from Momables
- Zucchini and Ground Beef Skillet Casserole from Live Renewed
- Roasted Sausages and Summer Vegetables with Garden Fresh Pesto from My Humble Kitchen
- Healthy Lemony Zucchini Risotto from The Greenbacks Gal
- Summer Squash Pasta from Don’t Waste the Crumbs
- Zucchini Pancakes from Traditional Foods
- A Harvest Bounty Recipe: Spanish Pisto/Ratatouille from My Humble Kitchen
- Zucchini Pizza Bites from Momables
- Cheesy Garlic Zucchini Bread from Common Sense Homesteading
- Huevos a la Mexicana from The Nourishing Home
- A Bean-Free Zucchini Hummus from The Greenbacks Gal
- Carrot and Zucchini Bars Yours Kids Will Love from Momables
If that’s not enough recipes for you, check out my zucchini board on Pinterest! You’ll be sure to find even MORE zucchini recipes with beautiful pictures. So go ahead, stock up on zucchini and nourish your family.
Do you have a favorite zucchini recipe that I should know about? Please share them with me in the comments below.