This post is specifically for my friends at Wellmark. A few years ago, when I was teaching interactive media at a local community college, I was able to teach Wellmark’s graphic designers a bit about the web – how to code, read html, all that fun stuff. Wellmark’s designers were all woman at the time, so it was so much fun being able to teach them code and form friendships as well. I looked forward to my evenings with these ladies. Let me tell ya, after spending all day with toddlers at home, gabbing with these ladies made my nights enjoyable.
Recently, Wellmark contacted me to share a healthy recipe to commemorate their 75th Anniversary. Of course I agreed, especially after seeing the recipe I would be able to share with all of you.
Before I get to the recipe, I wanted to share a bit about Wellmark’s 75th anniversary campaign. It’s called 75 Days. 75 Ways. Along with the anniversary celebration, Wellmark will be giving away $75,000 in grants to qualifying 501c3 and 501c4 nonprofit organizations who promote health and wellness. I feel this is a great cause, especially that it’s going to be giving 10 local non profit organizations $7,500 each. Locally, we have many great people doing hard work to spread the message of good food and good health. There have already been a great number of organizations that have entered and now I’d like to ask you to help us vote for your favorite!
Now, let’s get to that recipe.
Eggplant Salad with Meatballs
This recipe was developed by Wellmark. I chose to make this recipe because it reminded me a lot of Spanish cooking; however, with middle eastern flavors.
It’s a salad that’s made by frying a tomato sauce until thick and savory. What I loved about this recipe is that their are a lot of flavors going on. Sauteed eggplants and tomatoes are simmered with cinnamon were it gently lends its flavor and infuses well with cilantro and parsley. It’s finished with a dollop of a homemade yogurt dressing seasoned with garlic and mint. To make this a meal, I decided to whip up some meatballs and serve everything over rice.
It was a delightful meal, savory, and one that I was excited to make with all of my eggplants currently growing in my garden.
This salad is meant to be served at room temperature but we ate it warm to coincide with our meatballs. Anyway you have it, you’ll be delighted with this healthy recipe.
This is a delightful eggplant salad recipe, filled with depth and flavor.
- 2 pounds of eggplant (2 large eggplants)
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- ½ tbsp. cinnamon
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. of fresh cilantro, minced
- 3 tbsp. of fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. fresh mint, minced
- 5 ounces of Greek yogurt
- 1 ounce of roasted pine nuts
- Cut eggplants into cubes, sprinkle with a generous amount of sea salt and set aside. After 30 minutes, rinse and drain well then pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan and sauté eggplant. Once finished remove eggplant
- from pan and let cool.
- Heat additional 1 tablespoon of oil and sauté the onion for about a minute. Add cinnamon and half
- of the garlic. After another minute add the tomatoes. Finally, add the eggplant and let simmer for about one hour, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Mix in half of the cilantro and parsley and let cool.
- Mix lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, remaining garlic and mint with the Greek yogurt. Mix pine nuts into the yogurt.
- Serve the cooled eggplant salad with a generous dollop of the yogurt dressing and garnish with remaining herbs.
Serve the cooled eggplant salad with a generous dollop of the yogurt dressing and garnish with remaining herbs.
Thank you, Wellmark for letting me share this eggplant salad recipe at My Humble Kitchen. Congratulations on 75 Years!
Other Eggplant Recipes of Interest:
Nourish your Family Today!
Joing the My Humble Kitchen community today and I'll send you my eBook, A Month of Meals from My Humble Kitchen to Yours absolutely free. You'll receive recipes, techniques in the kitchen, gardening tips, and so much more to nourish your family physically and spiritually!