If you have children or adults in your family that love fast food chicken nuggets or those ones packaged in the freezer aisle, guess what? You’re going to love these.
My homemade, better than fast food, chicken nuggets are simple to make and not anything like a chicken tender. In other words, they’re not fried up chicken pieces that tend to be stringy. Instead, they’re soft and simple to bite through making them the perfect toddler food… or adult food 😉
My trick is to grind up organic chicken thighs, raw, by pulsing them in my food processor.
So instead of using pieces of chicken, I use ground, raw, chicken. That’s the key to a better than fast food chicken nugget.
I then add a bit of seasoning to the ground meat, shape the nuggets, and then dip them in egg yolk followed by homemade breadcrumbs seasoned with dried parsley.
A few minutes to brown on both sides in home rendered lard…
and voila… Better Than Fast Food Chicken Nuggets.
Better than fast food chicken nuggets – a simple to make and nourishing lunch or weeknight meal for your family.
- 4 - 5 boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- breadcrumbs (I blended in parsley when I processed my own breadcrumbs from stale bread)
- eggs, whisked
- lard to fry
- In a food processor, process the raw chicken meat until it’s ground.
- Remove the chicken meat from the food processor and place it in a bowl. Mix in the garlic salt and onion powder.
- Working in batches, roll out small nugget sizes of the meat into your hand. Flatten them out, then dip them in the whisked egg and then breadcrumbs
- 4. In a skillet or cast iron pan, gently bring the lard to heat. Working in batches, fry the chicken nuggets on both sides until browned and cooked through; about 2-3 minutes per side.
Who knew chicken nuggets could be so simple to make and nourishing, right?
The best thing about these nuggets is that they freeze exceptionally well. To reheat, simply bake them in the oven at 375F for 10-15 minutes.
Does your family enjoy chicken nuggets? Tell me, how do you make your chicken nuggets at home?