Upside-down einkorn apple muffins have quickly become one of my family’s favorite treats to eat during this season. They’re made with einkorn flour and gently sweetened using honey and applesauce in the batter and a bit of coconut palm sugar in the caramelized apple topping.
Since I’ve started healing my gut under the care of a functional medical doctor, I’ve been pleased that I’ve had no problems digesting einkorn. As I’ve shared before, einkorn is an ancient grain with 30% more protein than hybridized flours with more B vitamins and trace minerals like iron. The gluten in einkorn lacks the high molecular weight proteins people can’t digest so if you have gluten sensitivities or intolerances you may find that einkorn does well in your diet.
After a strict 3-month elimination diet, I found that I digest einkorn well. Modern wheat; however, I found to slow my digestion to a point of constipation.
For me and my family, we’ll be sticking to ancient grains long term.
Knowing that einkorn flour suits my family well, I wanted to make upside-down apple muffins with homemade applesauce I put up for the winter. We have been on a pretty strict, sugar-free diet so to make these extra special, I made upside-down apple muffins that makes them seem more like a cake.
I diced a couple apples with their skins as they contain many nutrients including fiber, vitamins E and K, half the apples iron, and all the apples folate. Just make sure they’re organic apples and wash them before you dice them up.
Once diced, I mixed them pasture raised butter, and coconut palm sugar – a dark, caramel-like sugar made from sap of the coconut palm.
I added a little over a tablespoon of the sweetened apple mixture to the bottom of each muffin tin and topped them with a honey-sweetened, einkorn cinnamon-applesauce muffin batter.
Once baked, plop them upside-down and serve. Friends, these are swoon-worthy!
Perfectly moist and gently sweetened so you won’t feel bad having one .. or two!
These einkorn apple upside-down muffins are gently sweetened with honey and coconut palm sugar. Perfectly moist and gently sweetened!
- 1½ cups apples, diced
- 3 tbls butter, melted
- 2 tbls coconut palm sugar
- 1½ cups einkorn flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, just barely softened
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Line a muffin pan with 12 paper liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together the apples, butter, and coconut palm sugar.
- Add just a little over a tablespoon of the apple mixture to the bottom of each lined muffin cup. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and honey over medium-high speed until soft and creamy, 2-3 minutes. Lower the speed and add the applesauce, egg, and vanilla extract and mix for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- With the speed still on low, and the dry ingredients, ? cup at a time, until just mixed. Do not over mix.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake at 350F for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Once cooled, flip the muffins upside-down onto a plate and serve.
Jovial Foods Coupon Code
If you need to order some einkorn flour or any other Jovial product including their lines of gluten-free flours, traditionally prepared beans, tomato sauces, olive oil, or large line of einkorn and gluten-free pastas, now’s the time! Jovial has kindly given all My Humble Kitchen readers a discount code to use.
Shop their online store and use the coupon code HumbleK17 to get 15% off now through January 1st, 2018 with FREE shipping! That’s a great deal, folks! (excludes cookbook and gift cards)
Win a Culinary Getaway!
Also, while you’re at the Jovial website, make sure to sign up to win a Jovial Culinary Getaway in Lucca, Italy! You have until November 15th, 2018 to sign up to win! It includes
Roundtrip airfare for two to Italy (contest open to those in contiguous US only), 8 days, 7 nights in an 18th-century villa, 3 hands-on cooking classes and 5 gourmet meals with travel dates of June 2-9, 2018 or June 9-16, 2018.
You can read all about one of my readers that experienced a Culinary Getaway with Jovial by clicking here! Good Luck!
Karen Becker says
These Upside Down Apple muffins are delicious, light and fluffy. My family has informed me that I may bake these all the time! Thanks for sharing such an awesome recipe
Diana Bauman says
I’m so glad you enjoyed them!