Two of my favorite ways to use ripe bananas are in double chocolate chip banana muffins and whole wheat einkorn banana bread. I generally bake my family a batch of muffins or sweet bread per week. For a busy homeschooling family like mine, it allows for quick breakfasts on the go!
What I most enjoy about some of the goods I bake, like my upside down apple muffins, butternut squash chocolate chip muffins, or this whole wheat einkorn banana bread, is that it uses fruit as a natural sweetener. When using fruit as sweeteners (applesauce, bananas, squash), I can use less additional sweeteners like honey, maple syrup, and coconut palm sugar.
For my whole wheat einkorn banana muffins, I only had to use a 1/2 cup of honey for the entire loaf. The four ripe bananas needed to make this recipe give it just the right amount of sweetness you’d expect of a good banana bread and enough moisture to keep for 4-5 days.
Serve it warm with a pat of grass-fed butter … so good!
Whole Wheat Einkorn Banana Bread. Gently sweetened with a bit of honey and moist to last 4-5 days like a good banana bread should.
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 ripe bananas
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat einkorn flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and honey at medium-high speed.
- While the butter and honey are mixing, in a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Once the butter and honey are creamed, lower the speed to medium and beat in the bananas until pureed. Once the bananas have been incorporated, add the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Lower the speed to low, and 1/4 cup at a time, mix in the dry ingredients until just mixed through. Do not over-mix.
- Pour the batter into a parchment paper lined loaf pan and bake at 350F for 50-55 minutes or until baked through.
Jovial Foods Coupon Code
If you need to order some einkorn flour or any other Jovial product including their lines of gluten-free flours, traditionally prepared beans, tomato sauces, olive oil, or large line of einkorn and gluten-free pasta, now’s the time! Jovial has kindly given all My Humble Kitchen readers a discount code to use.
Shop their online store and use the coupon code HumbleK17 to get 15% off now through January 1st, 2018 with FREE shipping! That’s a great deal, folks! (excludes cookbook and gift cards)
Win a Culinary Getaway!
Also, while you’re at the Jovial website, make sure to sign up to win a Jovial Culinary Getaway in Lucca, Italy! You have until November 15th, 2018 to sign up to win! It includes
Roundtrip airfare for two to Italy (contest open to those in the contiguous US only), 8 days, 7 nights in an 18th-century villa, 3 hands-on cooking classes and 5 gourmet meals with travel dates of June 2-9, 2018 or June 9-16, 2018.
Do you bake banana bread at home? Share with us in the comments below some of your favorite, nourishing treats you like to bake for your family.